Objective:Establish scholarship to identify young people beginning studies at Mississippi State University who have the promise of future distinction. Scholarship awarded on the basis of leadership, character, scholastic ability, and student's financial resources. The scholarship is weighted toward demonstrated leadership skills and the potential to develop that characteristic further at Mississippi State University.
Award Value:Scholarship value for entering freshman: The award will be a one-time award of $2,000 that will be administered and distributed through the Office of Admissions and Scholarships at Mississippi State University. There will be 5 scholarships awarded to those entering MSU at the 2015 Fall semester as a member of the Freshman Class.
Scholarship value for transferring community college students: The award will be a one-time award of $1,000 administered and distributed through the Office of Admissions and Scholarships at Mississippi State University. There will be two scholarships awarded to those students transferring to MSU for the 2015 Fall semester from a Community College.
From the five scholarship winners, there will be one recipient from Hinds County, one recipient from Madison County and one recipient from Rankin County. The final two recipients are Wild Cards and can represent any of the three counties.
The home address and residency indicated on the student's application with the Office of Admissions and Scholarship is the determining factor regarding allocation of the scholarships among the three counties. It is not determined by the location of the student's high school.
All scholarships are presented in July as part of the Chapter's Summer Extravaganza Party. Scholarship recipients are recognized to the chapter at this annual meeting.
The Central Mississippi Alumni Chapter Scholarship is a Leadership Scholarship. While all of the following criteria must be met, preference is given to those students that demonstrate noted leadership ability.
- To be eligible for the scholarship, a student:
- Must be admitted to Mississippi State University as a first-time entering freshman or as a new community college transfer student beginning with the Fall 2015 term by February 1 (entering freshman) or April 1 (community college transfer).
- Must have completed the online scholarship resume at www.admissions.msstate.edu by February 1 (entering freshman) or April 1 (community college transfer).
- Must have demonstrated leadership qualities.
- Must show need of financial assistance to pursue further education.
- Must be planning to enroll full time at MSU beginning with the Fall 2015 term.
- Must have minimum score of 22 and a maximum score of 28 on the ACT.
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- Must have demonstrated involvement in a variety of extra-curricular activities.
NOTE: Alumni dependency is not a factor in application for the scholarship.(i.e both dependents and non-dependents of MSU alumni are eligible.
There is no application process for this scholarship through the Central Mississippi Chapter. Students interested in this scholarship must submit the Application for Admission and General Scholarship and also submit the online scholarship resume, currently found at www.admissions.msstate.edu.
Addresses and phone numbers if an applicant has additional questions:
The Department of Student Financial Aid
P.O. Box 6035
Mississippi State, MS 39762
The Office of Admissions and Scholarships
P.O. Box 6334
Mississippi State, MS 39762
Photo of presentation of award with MSU Central Mississippi Board Member and student. Send photo with cutline to various media outlets - hometown newspaper, etc.
A photo release document must be signed and on file with the Central Mississippi Scholarship Chairman after the award has been given in order to receive credit for the scholarship.